Seattle, RSL play to scoreless draw at Rio Tinto
Real Salt Lake (10-6-3) snaps a three-game losing skid with the draw but is
still winless in its last four matches. The Claret and Cobalt remain in second
place in the Western Conference, improving to 33 points on the season.
Seattle (7-5-6) extends its winless run to nine games as the club has not
picked up three points from a match since claiming a 2-0 victory over FC
Dallas on May 9. The Sounders improve to 27 points but drop to fourth place in
the West after Vancouver Whitecaps FC picked up a 1-0 win over the Colorado
Rapids on Wednesday.
The first half of Wednesday’s clash came and went with little in the way of
scoring opportunities, but referee Hilario Grajeda struggled to keep a lid on
proceedings with three vital points on the line between two formidable Western
Alvaro Saborio came within inches of getting Real Salt Lake off the mark
shortly after the restart as he nodded a delivery from Fabian Espindola into
the back of the net, but the goal was disallowed after the Costa Rican was
ruled offside by the assistant referee.
Both sides continued to push in search of the winner, but they ultimately
canceled each other out as they were made to settle for a point with the
Real Salt Lake will look to rebound at home against the Portland Timbers while
Seattle returns to action with a home tilt against the Colorado Rapids, both
of which take place Saturday.
- Grabavoy leads the way as RSL charges past Chivas
- America to face Cruz Azul for Mexican title
- United, Sporting KC draw at RFK
- Barca inches closer to century mark after win over Valladolid
- AC Milan books Champions League place with Siena defeat
- Cahill’s late goal sees N.Y. down L.A.
- Celtic cruises past Dundee United in SPL finale
- Chavez helps ‘Quakes claim point against Colorado
- Johnson’s brace helps surging Sounders topple FCD
- Dynamo’s home woes continue with Revs defeat