Is Jon Jones the villain of the story?
Nowadays Jon Jones could easily be mistaken for a villain if you read MMA message boards, listened to certain MMA experts or consulted Twitter.
However, the UFC light heavyweight champ doesn't see himself as a villain.
"I'm not going to say I've embraced the role of being a villain because I'm not a villain," Jones said last Tuesday. "I'm not a bad person. I pride myself on inspiring others."
Jones turned down a short-notice title defense against Chael Sonnen at UFC 151, which prompted the UFC to cancel the September 1 pay-per-view event. Now he will meet Vitor Belfort at UFC 152 but he has inspired far more criticism than support.
Subsequent tweets from Jones poking fun at Dan Henderson, whose injured knee scrapped a fight with him and provided the catalyst for UFC 151's cancelation, and subsequent comments to the media defending his decision to turn down Sonnen, haven't helped his image.
Jones, however, said he's simply being him.
"I'm going to start making comments of things I think are true and get more comfortable with myself, and it's a crazy journey," Jones said. "I'm not used to people hanging on every word that I say, and everything I tweet is like a new article, or everything I say is a new article. But I've got to be comfortable with myself, man. I never had an official PR training, nor do I want one. I want to express who I am as a person, and this is who I am."
Check the latest MMA News
- NFL Inactives – Sunday, December 21, 2014
- Newton to start against Browns
- NFL Betting at America’s Bookie – Early Games: Clausen Steps in Fort Cutkler; Saints and Falcons Play For NFC South Lead
- Dundee United knocks off Celtic, moves into second place
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Philadelphia Flyers (12-14-6) at Winnipeg Jets (17-10-6), 9 p.m. (ET)
- Flyers aim to keep offense going vs. Jets
- Toronto Maple Leafs (19-11-3) at Chicago Blackhawks (22-9-2), 7 p.m. (ET)
- Rangers eye sweep of home-and-home with Hurricanes
- Leafs, ‘Hawks both try to bounce back in Chicago