Cardinals clobber Royals
Beltran had a two-run double in both the first and second innings as the
Cardinals jumped out to a 10-1 lead after two. David Freese and Tyler Greene
also hit two-run doubles during the early onslaught and Matt Carpenter went 2-
for-4 with an RBI in his return from the disabled list.
A beneficiary of the run support, Joe Kelly (1-0) went six innings and picked
up his first major league win. He allowed three runs and did not issue a walk
in his third career start.
St. Louis had lost three of four entering Friday but victimized Kansas City
starter Vin Mazzaro (3-2) to the tune of seven runs on six hits over just 1
Salvador Perez made his season debut and hit a two-run homer for the Royals,
who took two of three from the Cardinals last weekend as part of their
recently concluded 4-2 road trip.
- Mets’ Atchison back on DL
- Diamondbacks starter Cahill leaves
- Dodgers’ Capuano activated, will start Game 2 of doubleheader
- Mattingly returns to Bronx, but Yankees down Dodgers
- Davis homers twice as Orioles rout Tigers
- Twins reach deal with No. 4 overall pick Stewart
- Red Sox ink top draft pick Ball
- Nationals’ Espinosa activated from DL, sent to minors
- Astros strike deal with No. 1 pick Appel
- Rounding Third: Wheeling and dealing, Mets’ future is brighter