2013 NBA Playoffs Betting Trends – April 20
Boston Celtics vs. New York Knicks – 3:00 PM ET
Carmelo Anthony has led his teams past the first round of the playoffs only once. He will attempt to double that number when the No. 2 seed Knicks host the Celtics in Game 1 of their best-of-seven series. The Knicks won the season series, 3-1.
While the Knicks were white-hot at the end of the season, winning 13 straight and 15 of 16 before Anthony and other key players took the final two games off, the Celtics staggered down the stretch. The Celtics dropped 11 of their last 16 while stars Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce took turns sitting out and trying to get healthy. Two of the losses – both by double digits – were against the Knicks in a six-day span last month. The Celtics won at New York in January, a game that ended with Anthony trying to confront Garnett before he boarded the team bus.
– The Celtics are 3-8 ATS in their last 11 games on the road
– The Celtics are 18-7 SU in their last 25 games when playing the Knicks
– The Knicks are 4-1 SU in their last five games when playing the Celtics
– The Knicks are 5-0 SU in their last five games at home
Golden State Warriors vs. Denver Nuggets – 5:30 PM ET
The Nuggets are on the shortlist of NBA title contenders due in part to their overwhelming home court advantage. The Nuggets will put that advantage to the test when they host the Warriors in the opener of a first round playoff series. The Warriors had to battle until the last few minutes of the regular season to secure the No. 6 spot but they enter the playoffs with little experience.
The Nuggets will have their depth tested in the first round. Denver lost leading scorer Danilo Gallinari for the rest of the season to a knee injury earlier this month and fierce rebounder Kenneth Faried went down with an ankle sprain in the final week. The Nuggets are listing Faried as questionable for Saturday but might need to have a backup plan for keeping David Lee off the boards. The Warriors had their own injury scare when Andrew Bogut went down with a sprained ankle, but he returned for the season finale on Wednesday and should be in the starting lineup for Game 1. Bogut’s presence in the paint is essential on the defensive end.
– The Warriors are 1-9 SU in their last 10 games when playing on the road against the Nuggets
– The Warriors are 1-4 ATS in their last five games when playing on the road against the Nuggets
– The Nuggets are 5-0 SU in their last five games at home
– The Nuggets are 4-1 SU in their last five games when playing the Warriors
Chicago Bulls vs. Brooklyn Nets – 8:00 PM ET
The Nets have made a stunning transition since departing New Jersey and will open their first playoff series in six years when they host the Bulls. The Eastern Conference series opener is the first major professional sports playoff game held in Brooklyn since the 1956 World Series, when the Dodgers played at Ebbets Field. The Bulls are playoff regulars, making their fifth straight appearance despite being without Derrick Rose the entire season.
Chicago has dealt with a series of injuries while playing well enough to land the fifth seed. The Bulls feel all the hurdles have prepared them for the postseason. Chicago won three of the four regular season meetings.
– The total has gone OVER in 11 of Chicago’s last 15 games when playing on the road against Brooklyn
– The Bulls are 6-13 ATS in their last 19 games when playing on the road against the Nets
– The total has gone OVER in four of Brooklyn’s last five games
– Brooklyn is 2-5 ATS in their last seven games when playing Chicago
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Clippers – 10:30 PM ET
The Grizzlies and the Clippers engaged in a hard-fought playoff series last year and the Western Conference first round series between the two teams should be just as competitive this time around. Game 1 is tonight in Los Angeles between two clubs that each won 56 regular season games to set franchise marks for victories in a season. The Clippers won the season series 3-1. Last season’s playoff series went seven games with Los Angeles prevailing. The fourth-seeded Clippers won their last seven games while fifth-seeded Memphis won nine of their last 11 games.
– The total has gone UNDER in five of Memphis’ last seven games when playing on the road against the Clippers
– The Grizzlies are 5-1 SU in their last six games
– The total has gone UNDER in five of the Clippers’ last seven games when playing at home against the Grizzlies
– The Clippers are 6-2 SU in their last eight games when playing at home against the Grizzlies
- Thursday Service Plays 3/5/15
- Superhuman Westbrook leads OKC into Chicago
- Blazers rally past Clips in OT
- Zeller’s buzzer-beater lifts Celtics over Jazz
- Pacers roll against hapless Knicks
- Wade, Whiteside lead Heat over Lakers
- Suns rally past Magic
- Westbrook’s 4th straight triple-double lifts OKC
- Davis returns to lead Pelicans past Pistons
- Gasol’s last-second shot lifts Grizzlies over Rockets