2012 Valero Texas Open Results
Ben Curtis shot a final round of 72, which was good enough for the win in the Valero Texas Open and the first win on the tour for Curtis since 2006. Curtis finished 9 under par and paid off 125-1, which goes to show that the longer shots can, and do, win in some of the lesser name tournaments.
Matt Every and John Huh tied for 2nd in a field without many big names. Although this is not a big stop on the PGA tour I am sure Curtis is pleased with the $1,116.000 paycheck that comes with the win. After winning the British Open in 2003, he got 2 more tour wins in 2006 but has had a dry spell since then. This week’s win earned him exempt PGA status for 2 years, which is something he didn’t have before the event, which is a very big deal on the tour.
The outcome was not determined until late in the final round as Curtis sank a 22 foot putt to save par on 17 and got a birdie on 18.
Valero Texas Open Top 5 Results
1 Ben Curtis -9 (279)
T2 Matt Every -7 (281)
T2 John Huh -7 (281)
T4 Brendan Steele -5 (283)
T4 Bob Estes -5 (283)
T4 Brian Gay -5 (283)
T4 Charlie Wi -5 (283)
- Moreno leads Bahamas event by 1
- Perry leads by 2 at Senior PGA Championship
- Kuchar leads by 1 at Colonial
- Prugh joins Van Aswegen atop leaderboard in Mexico
- Canizares vaults into PGA Championship lead
- Putnam, Van Aswegen share lead in Mexico
- Two lead delayed LPGA event in Bahamas
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead at Senior PGA Championship
- Kuchar leads delayed Colonial
- Molinari moves into top spot at PGA Championship